Libraries at Vanderbilt: An Historical Timeline

 

1873

At the time of the founding of Vanderbilt University, the first library was in College Hall.

1875

Peabody Normal College founded; located on the grounds of the University of Nashville

1880

Law Library located in the former Dental Building on College Hill; building renamed Law School

1882

School of Religion Library begun in old Wesley Hall

1899

Geology and Pharmacy libraries located in Old Science Hall

1900

Biology Library established in Old Science Hall

1905

College Hall (now Kirkland Hall) fire; that library destroyed

1906

Medical Library established at School of Medicine, located at College Hill.

1907

Chemistry Library established in Furman Hall

1914

Peabody College moves to 21st and Edgehill from College Hill. Library housed in the Home Economics Building.

1916

Law School library moves to College Hall

1919

Dedication of Peabody College Library Building

1924

Scarritt College for Christian Workers relocated to Nashville from Kansas City

1925

Medical Library established on campus when School of Medicine relocates from College Hill.

1926

School of Pharmacy closes.

1929

Biology Library moves to Buttrick Hall

1932

Wesley Hall burns; School of Religion library partially destroyed. Geology and Physics Library in Garland Hall.

1932

School of Religion Library re-established in Calhoun Hall

1936

A. F. Kuhlman becomes Director of Libraries

1936

Nashville Union Catalog created; card catalog that includes holdings of Vanderbilt, Peabody, Scarritt, Fisk University, Meharry Medical College, Nashville Public Library, and Tennessee State Library.

1938

Joint University Library Corporation created by trust indenture. Participants were Vanderbilt University, George Peabody College and Scarritt College

1941

General Library Building completed; School of Religion Library relocates to GLB

1947

Music Library established; located in the Social-Religious Building (now the Wyatt Center) on the Peabody Campus

1960

David Kaser named Library Director

1962

Law Library moves into new Law School building

1964

Medical Library moves into new wing of Medical Center North

1965

Special Collections established; located in the General Library Building.

1966

One millionth volume added: Liber Chronicarium (Nuremberg Chronicle) of 1493. Donated by Jesse Ely Wills.

1968

Television News Archives established as part of library system; located in the General Library Building

1968

Frank P. Grisham becomes Director of Libraries

1969

Scarritt Library moves into new library building

1969

H. Fort Flowers Wing added to General Library Building

1970

Resource Information Center established at Owen School, located at 2505 West End Avenue

1972

Science departmental library collections consolidated and moved into new Science Library in the Stevenson Center for the Natural Sciences

1974

Library begins to catalog materials using a computer-based network, OCLC

1976

Resource Information Center renamed Management Library

1979

Vanderbilt/Peabody Merger. Joint University Library Corporation dissolved. Library system becomes Vanderbilt University Library. Scarritt Library no longer part of system.

1981

Management Library moves to new Owen School location

1984

Library system renamed The Jean and Alexander Heard Library, in honor of Chancellor Emeritus Alexander Heard and his wife Jean, founder of the Friends of the Library organization

1984

Malcolm Getz named Associate Provost and Director of the Library

1985

Library automation system begun. Called "Acorn," reflecting not only the presence of an acorn on the Vanderbilt family crest, but also as metaphor for source, beginnings, nurture, compactness.

1992

Two-millionth volume acquired: Journal of the Proceedings of the Congress, held at Philadelphia, September 5, 1774, the first edition of the official journal of the Continental Congress. Donated by Ridley Wills II.

1992

Television News Archive reporting structure transferred to Office of the General Counsel.

1994

Shirley Hallblade named Acting Director.

1995

Annette and Irwin Eskind Biomedical Library building dedicated.

1996

Paul M. Gherman named University Librarian.

2002

Television News Archive becomes part of the library once again.

2002

Education Library renamed Peabody Library.

2004

Three-millionth volume acquired: Monuments Anciens du Mexique by Count Jean Frédéric de Waldeck. Donated by Mr. and Mrs. Ridley Wills III.

2009

Connie Vinita Dowell named Dean of Libraries.

2014

Joseph D. Combs, Jr. named Interim Dean of Libraries

This page maintained by Kathy Smith, Associate University Archivist, and Celia Walker, Director, Special Projects.

 

OmniUpdate